Why do I love this story? Well, personally I have never understood the Westboro Baptist Church. I have figured out that they hate everyone and seemingly everything. Furthermore, where they protest and what signs they choose to protest with always confuses me?
For instance… Their signs are all over the place! What are they protesting? The museum? What do gay people and beastiality have to do with the Holocaust Museum? They obviously need to figure out what they are protesting.
God hates America! If he hates America, why should I care what he thinks? Do they think that I want to get to know someone who already has judged me and hates the country I live in?
See what I mean? What is it that they want to accomplish here. Are they protesting the war, having a military, or having gay people in the military. So confusing. All I am getting is that this “God” guy hates a lot of things and he must not be very fun to be around.
Anyway, The Gay pride house sends a message without confusing signs and derogatory comments. It stands as a quiet reminder that life is beautiful and that love trumps the hate they are spewing.
I also love that this house was inspired by a 9-year-old. Personally, that kid rocks! Photo-bombing a Westboro protest. That kid has some pretty big balls! I bet if he designed protest signs, that kids signs would be awesome! Actually, the Westboro Churches signs are a pretty sad lot. I think they may need to rethink what they are putting on their signs.
As a public service I thought I would offer some advice to them about good protest signs (considering that you will probably be in the capitol protesting for the next few days).
- Use catchy song lyrics in a clever way. It helps people remember your message because they will not be able to get the song out of their head.
- Try to stick to one topic. If you don’t, it just looks like you are haters with ADHD.
- Know your facts. If you have not spoken directly to God, then you run the risk of misquoting him. I am thinking that if he could he might sue you for slander… Just saying. Why don’t you just stick to using first person language?
- Have a sense of humor. Seriously, your signs are not very funny and I am thinking they are supposed to be. Don’t get me wrong, I laugh at how silly your protests are… but there is also something that makes me so sad. It makes me sad to think that you actually believe what your signs say. So make them funnier (or at least add some cute illustrations), please!
- Finally, didn’t anyone ever tell you that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar? Stick to signs that focus on the positives rather than negatives. Don’t just tell me what is wrong with the world, tell me how you propose to fix it?
Hope you find these tips helpful? I will be looking to see if you paid any attention.